- Status In progress
- Partners NACONEK, IRENA, Spanner
- Location Kuno Primary School, Garissa County, Kenya
REGID International is partnering with the National Council for Nomadic Education in Kenya (NACONEK) to improve academic performance of pupils in the ASAL areas. This will be done through the provision of electricity and heat for enhancing the pupils’ learning conditions in Kuno Primary School (Garissa County).
The project will result in the implementation of a 35kw biomass power plant fueled with Gliricidia shrubs within the school premises. The heat and electricity will be provided to the school for lighting and cooking. Additionally, the energy will be used for a watergen for farming activities, goat chilling and milk pasteurisation.
More than 60,000 of Gliricidia shrubs have been planted on 6ha and are ready for harvest to feed the power plant. Only the branches will be used for producing energy. The leaves will be used for feeding fodder such as goats.
The tree planting activities have had considerable ecological benefits contributing to soil regeneration and carbon sequestration. Consequently, the program will be registered for carbon credits and REGID International will be leading business development activities.
The NIWFESS project will be attained via the following objectives:
- Assembly of a team of competent technocrats with experience in jointly contributing to the planning and execution of the NIWFESS Project;
- Mobilization of funds from internal government as well as external support agencies;
- Capacity building of NACONEK staff and partners engaged in the design, fabrication, installation and monitoring of NIWFESS infrastructure and components;
- Development of policies that acknowledge ideals of the NIWFESS project with a view to mainstreaming them in educational curricula as well as community projects and programmes;
- Producing food, feed and fodder from irrigated gardens;
- Generating integrated energy solutions that include bio-energy from woodlots